Sunday, September 16, 2012

31 Day Challenge - Day 14: Flowers





A cutesy floral print is what I came up with for this challenge. To make it a little more different from a simple flower print, I added a pop of sparkle in the center of the blooms. I think this is totally cute, and such an easy manicure to recreate.




I chose to use three colours from Essie's Fall 2012 Yogaga Collection since I felt they went together so well and were a perfect colour palette for a floral theme. I started with a base of Boxer Shorts, a periwinkle purpley blue creme. Such a pretty colour, but so hard to photograph the purple tones in it. It's as if Lapiz Of Luxury and Play Date had a baby, Boxer Shorts would be it. The formula for this polish is just as great as the colour; it was opaque in 2 thin coats, non-streaky, and self-leveling. It is a dream to apply.





For the flowers, I alternated Marathin - dusty pink mauve creme, and Pilates Hottie, a soft nude lilac creme with pink undertones, for the petals and leaves. Both colours' formulas are just as great as Boxer Shorts, even and opaque. I just may have to pick up the other three colours from this collection since these ones are so stellar. As for the design, I used a dotting tool to make elongated petal rounds, and a slightly dragged out dot for the leaves. This can also be achieved with a bobby pin if you don't have a dotting tool. I finished this manicure off with Seche Vite, as usual.

To add an extra pop of sparkle, I put large silver hexagonal glitters that I hand-placed in the center of each flower. I used the largest glitter pieces in Color Club - Platinum Record, which is a mix of small to large silver hex glitters in a clear base from the Holiday 2011 Backstage Pass Collection. Overall, this is a simple and girly mani, but it's a little more special with the added glitter.

Unfortunately, I believe this will my last mani for the 31 Day Challenge. I know, fail. It's actually extremely difficult to come up with something creative, especially set with such strict limitations on your design. I sometimes found myself just completing a mani for the sake of posting for this challenge, even if I wasn't 100% satisfied with it. That's why I won't be continuing. I feel that I owe it to myself, as well as all my readers, that I stay true to my standards and offer swatches and manicures that I'm whole-heartedly proud of. From now on you'll only see quality swatches and manicures that I am fully happy with accompanied with 100% honest reviews on polishes, and I hope you guys will honour that decision.

As always, thank you so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment